Friday, August 16, 2013

Dusting off the cobwebs

A quick doodle during a keynote.

I'm home from the annual Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) LA International Summer Conference and a last minute family vacation to Universal Studios. I'm back at the drawing board meeting deadlines and trying not to be upset about the kids going back to school. My oldest started yesterday, the youngest starts next week. I find I actually work better when I'm not trying to conform to their schedule. During summer, I can work when I'm at my best. Keep in mind they're 12 & 15, so they're somewhat self sufficient. Invite some friends over and I can disappear into my studio. Something parents of younger kids can look forward to.


Mike Baker, Jannie Ho, Tracy Bishop, Diandre Mae, and me after 2 hours of dancing at the Black and White Ball.

I have lots to share about the conference. You can see my post on the Simply Messing About blog and Tracy Bishop's recap is there also. Today I want to share one set of books I bought while there, Teeny Weeny looks for his mummy! & Bunny Boo has lost her teddy! by my friend, Jannie Ho. They're published by Nosy Crow and are only available in the UK right now. I have wanted these books since I first saw them. They are so sweet and luscious in both color and texture. It's hard to believe she creates all that in Adobe Illustrator! It looks like gouache  Jannie was a presenter at the conference, so I finally got to meet her and hang out. Love her!


Photo by Jannie Ho

Aren't baby hands the cutest?

I tried to get a clean video of her naming the animals by herself, but as soon as we turned off the TV and stopped talking, she'd clam up. This is the best I could do.



To see more of Jannie's art, check out her website and blog!

UPDATE! The first two Tiny Tabs books will be available in the US in February, 2014. Yippee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...