Friday, June 15, 2012

My promo postcards


After a long, agonizing struggle, my postcards are finally printed and starting to make their way out into the world.

My style has changed so much over the last year or so. I knew something had to change for awhile. I had that uncomfortable, exciting, aggravating feeling running in the background of my consciousness. I tried to lean into it and let it happen, knowing that change and growth are part of the creative life, but that knowledge didn't make it any easier. I played, I experimented, I caught glimpses, but the goal was always just out of reach.

I researched, I studied, I went to conferences. At my local Illustrator's Day, John Clapp, illustration teacher at SJSU, told me that it should always be uncomfortable when I'm creating something. That means I'm growing, that I'm making something worth making. It shouldn't be easy or rote.

That mantra has been playing in my head since last fall. I am so grateful for my friend, Tracy Bishop, for listening, pushing, and agonizing right alongside of me through this journey. Thanks also to Kelly Light for helping put the cherry on top of this illo.

My word for this year and last has been Intention. I used that word from the beginning of this illo, starting with the color palette. I loved Peter Brown's book Children Make Terrible Pets as a reference for the color.

@Peter Brown



The painting in progress. I create everything in layers traditionally, then assemble, collage, and enhance in Photoshop.


I've been wanting to add black & white to my portfolio for longer than I care to tell you. This book was the catalyst. I love Lane Smith's pencil (or digital pencil) drawings.

Created with Caran d'Ache Black Supracolor on white Pebble Board



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Laura. The postcard looks beautiful. I'm so glad you pushed through to find a style new, but still you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The postcard looks great! Thanks for giving some insight into the development of your style and inspiration. I love your colors and great texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Laura, what a wonderful mailer..the illustrations show your strengths perfectly! Thanks for sharing your process and inspiration too and I'm wishing you all the best with these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful!! Your style really has grown so much. It's been very cool to watch your transformation. It's going to keep growing with the hard work you keep putting in :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...