With the kids on vacation and one down with the flu, I gave up on getting any work work done and decided to tackle the quilt that has been in the making for a year or so.
I had most of the block rows sewn together and finished the rest quickly. I had planned a mitered border, but didn't really want to do it. I'd need my mom's help, but we couldn't chance exposing her to the flu. Luckily, I had just received Bari J's Inspired to Sew. She has a Sweet home Chicago quilt which doesn't have a mitered border. Hallelujah! That's all the incentive I needed. The border was a breeze.
I was very determined to finish the top and back this week, so when I couldn't find my original plan for the back and realized that I hadn't ordered enough fabric anyway, I got creative. I used leftover blocks plus added some new ones, scraps, and the fabric that was supposed to be a border. Oh well, that's a problem for another day.
I worked quickly and tried not to overthink it. I like the results. Next up, I'm off to Mom's to baste everything together. How to quilt it is not so easy. I love the idea of using embroidery floss ala Anna Maria Horner or machine quilting it. I don't want to make a career out of quilting it. I want it finished!