Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A tease and a call to action


I'm working on marketing and creating artwork for the licensing market right now. It's so frustrating that I can't share any of it with you. Above is just a little bit of something I've got on the drawing board today.

As you probably know, the life an illustrator has a lot of highs and of lows. The joy of landing a job or a contract and the lows of not getting it or a project that's suddenly put on hold. I'm just coming down off of a high and if I must be honest, I'm wallowing a bit in the lows. That's not to say that I've given up or am sitting around doing nothing. I'm not as productive as I could be right now, but I am still accomplishing some things and I'm definitely promoting the heck out of myself. I want the next high of a new project. I'm hooked.

I keep submitting my artwork to every possible prospect I can find. I am creating new work, but I'm not waiting for it to be finished before I promote myself. If I did, I'd be forever waiting for the right moment or the right art. For me the right moment is now. The new work will be ready for the next round and so on and so on. You get the picture. If you're still waiting for your work to be at the right place, stop waiting and start promoting. You'll always be improving. Remember, you're not satisfied yet because you can see where you are or would like to go with your work. There's a place for your work right now where you are, so go out and get it!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this candid post. It is very helpful for a newbie like me who keeps saying, 'when I get one more piece finished for my portfolio.' I guess I need to take that leap and I thank you for the push.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting. Yes! Go for it! Also get to a conference if you can. Spring for a portfolio review. It can be very helpful and eye opening no matter where you are in your career. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I need to listen to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...