Friday, December 31, 2010

Second try at digital painting in Photoshop

2010 has been a year of experimenting for me and it's been a real struggle. I know it's necessary, but I miss knowing exactly how to solve a given illustration problem. I can still do it like I used to, but I feel I'm moving in a new direction with my work. I am enjoying the ride for the most part, though.

I 'm working on a snowman collection and this guy is one of the sketches. I thought a snowman would be a simple subject for trying out digital painting. I tend to jump right into a BIG project before I've experimented on a smaller scale. Overall, I'm happy with this guy, though I still feel the pull to try again with paint and color pencil. I just realized that I forgot his scarf!


I'm afraid this new digital direction is going to cost me some serious money if I'm not careful. Can you say CS5 and Cintiq? Yikes!

I want to thank all of you who read this blog from the bottom of my heart! Your comments help fuel my creativity and hope. I have a lot planned for 2011 and hope to share it with you here in this space. Happy New Year!!!

5 comments:

  1. They say that the goal of digital painting is to not make it look digital. I think you've got that in spades! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun. What a great look.
    Did you do it using just brushes or did you add a texture to it as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christina!

    Bob--I wish I knew ;) I used brushes only, but I'm really not sure how I got that texture on the snow & background. I am VERY new at this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love it that even though you did this in Photoshop it still looks like all of your other paintings. That's a super-hard thing to do. It's so great that you're versatile and can finish your paintings in multiple ways depending on how you feel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura... beautiful work as usual. I'm gearing up to improve my PS skills as well. Do you really think you need to upgrade to PCS5 ? I'm still using CS3 & using a Bamboo tablet. Regardless... I always love looking at your work. Here's to us both improving our skill set in 2011

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...