This guy refuses to be 'caged'. I'm stretching it, but I think it works so there!
The struggle continues. I've been doing some experiments with my style lately. I've also started creating my art in layers as you can see here. Originally there was supposed to be a little boy piloting the plane with a 3/4 top view. I redid it twice, but never liked it. I should have known it wasn't working, since I rarely wanted to work on it. I finally gave up on the boy and replaced him with a pelican. I also changed the view. I loved it until I put them together and decided it's not quite working. Ugh! I'm going to put it aside for awhile and move on. I need fresh eyes! At least the pelican works as a spot illo.
Thanks to some wonderful artist friends, I tried this option. Better, I think.
And the winner is…this one. Thanks to Juana Martinez-Neal! FYI: I painted the background in matte acrylics, went over it with color pencil. The bird & plane are all color pencil on toned paper. They're combined in Photoshop where I cut back on the opacity of the background. It was competing too much with the bird. This method really sped things up!