Friday, June 18, 2010

Where Bloggers Create II — My studio

Welcome! For those of you who are visiting for the first time, let me introduce myself. I am a published children's illustrator living in Northern California and I'm currently building a licensing business. Thank you to Karen Valentine of My desert Cottage for hosting this party.

I also create Semi Custom Collage portraits which you can order from here.

Considering all the procrastination associated with this post, it's a miracle that I got it up. Whew! Of course, I used a lot of smoke and mirrors to get it done. I have yet to actually sew up the closet curtains or the window treatment. They're so wildly colorful, that even I have been hesitant to commit. I hung the fabric up just to think about it. The window one is completely done in Photoshop. much quicker than sewing. I love that Laura Gunn fabric!

In the interest of full disclosure, my studio never looks this clean. I'm an "out of site, out of mind" kind of person, so I always have a lot of stuff out. So far, I only paint at this drawing board. I sketch and paint/color over at my desk.


My husband was against taking these shelves from the old house, but I love them so much I couldn't leave them. Not to mention that I was in no mood to shop for, cut, and paint another set. Those elephants used to hang in my sister's crib. They are so 70s!

On the top shelf you can see a popcorn can I got a long time ago as a gift. It's illustrated by my all time favorite illustrator, Viv Eisner. I just love that my red wall is an exact match. I had no idea when I chose the color!


Toot & Puddle have a place of honor here. Don't you just love their monogramed pjs?


I got that reindeer at Starbucks. My favorite color combo is red or orange with lime green. Yum! The little house book is what inspired me to become and illustrator. I love having it in plain sight. The heart painting is the first collage I did after reading Kelly Rae Roberts book, Taking Flight. Love her, love that book!

Here's where I spend (waste) most of my time. All of my art is created by hand, then enhanced or added to in Photoshop. I'm loving those stripes on the wall, but I'm still wishing they went around the room.

Thank you so much for visiting! You can buy prints and some originals of my work in my Esty shop or my Imagekind shop.

28 comments:

  1. Oh Laura, I just love your studio! I love seeing where other artist work and the things in their space that inspire them! Thanks fo sharing! It inspires me to do a post on my art spot! I have been wondering what I should blog about. Now I am inspired.

    P.S. My photos of the studio will be "staged" too! Because most of the time it looks like a bomb exploded in there! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! It was a lot of fun and I'm feeling more grateful for the space that's all my own. It helps fill the blog, too! I also figure that if WWC stages their photo shoots, so can I. I offered full disclosure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your space looks so happy! Love the colors!
    Queen Bee Studio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great creative space. Love the red wall and inspiration board. so, enjoyed my visit with you. Enjoy the rest of the party.
    hugz,
    Zandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great space and surrounded by things you love! Very colorful! tfs
    luverlie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a wildly colorful and well appointed studio. I often stage my tutorials, so why not our work spaces. I was totally impressed that you photoshopped the curtains. Now that was clever. You went to a lot of trouble to make this an enjoyable visit, and for that I appreciate you and your colorful studio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your Creative space is truly amazing - that red wall is sure to keep your mind firing on all burners.
    A very Happy place to hang out and play/work
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura! I'm so happy you were able to join the party! I loved hearing the story about the book that inspired you to become an illustrator. Isn't amazing how one little thing crossing our paths can change out lives forever???
    xo,
    Karen
    My Desert Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing space you have created! You have inspired me to add to my own crafting area.

    I adore all of your storage solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have taken those shelves too. I love all your favorite things that you've put on the shelves. Very nice space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing , your studio is inspiring as well as your lovely art:O) have a great day:O) Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an adoreable space, Laura. So fun to see where you create. A very happy environment. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful illustrations and I like the vantage point you were able to take of your creative area..very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an incredible inspiring space!!! Your illustrations are wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

    Romeo and "her"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your room and I'm with you on the shelves! They're terrific and I can see why you wouldn't want to leave them. Good luck with your licensing business - your work is charming and I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Laura,

    Your illustrations are just magical! And tell me about getting a studio finished..I think I just about killed myself getting done in time..LOL Your space is wonderful and I love the vibrant colors!

    I'd love to have you come take a stroll through my studio...it's been a labor of love to get it all in place..what a journey this past year has been!

    Have a wonderful day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Laura, how fun to be able to create in such a bright and beautiful space. I am giggling about your shelves, good for you. Your illustrations are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Creative SPace, your art works is so cute, i love it. How Inspiring your area is.. Glad to of met you at this Bloggeres Creative Space Sharing
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such a cute studio. It seems to fit your adorable illustrations. I enjoyed my tour. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your space is so cheerful and I know for a fact that you are not alone in the studio for show vs the reality. I've visited a few studios on this tour with the same story (mine included. Love your photoshopping!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your bright happy creative space. Your illustrations are magnificent! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the lovely tour. What a great space. I love the bright colours you added to the room. Your artwork is amazing. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful day. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your studio and your cheerful colors that you have chosen, thanks for sharing! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wouldn't have left those shelves behind either! Gotta love your photoshop curtains too - very clever. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your studio is so cheerful...full of fun things to look at!

    Yes, I am still visiting the participants in the 'Where Bloggers Create' event...and having a great time! Thank you for sharing your creative space with us. Have a wonderful weekend. ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great studio space, neat little storage places and I love the orange accent wall.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your space is so cheerful, I love it! How great to have such a beautiful space to do your painting and illustrating.
    Thanks for a fun tour.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...