Monday, March 8, 2010

Saying Goodbye


I've never been good at saying goodbye or letting go, but it's been particularily hard to say goodbye to the color in my old house. I absolutely LOVE the terra cotta color in the loft. I wasn't able to use it in the new house. It just didn't look the same. I'm already thinking of repainting one wall in my studio in this color. My house is now very plain and uninteresting to me. It has been neutralized. Ugh!
And my purple kitchen. Love it!

Losing this wallpaper in my youngest's room was long overdue. He still loved it, but he's 8. Time to move on. I decorated it when I was pregnant with my 12yo. No baby ever slept in this room. Josh was the first and he was already 4 when it became his room. My mom used to joke that we only needed one bedroom.


But the absolute hardest part of selling the house is letting go of my mural. I'm still amazed that I painted it. I'm not a painter. I love Mary Grandpre's work, so doing this mural was a chance to step into her studio. I've stared at it everyday for the last 6+ years. I don't want to know if the new owners paint over it. Please nobody tell me!

7 comments:

  1. Aw, I know how that feels... Nothing is going to make it better except time. But think how fun it will be to make the new house all your own. It's a blank canvas... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. We are renovating a house and my hub is fighting every step of the way. He'd have the entire house in white. NOT happening! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no no no! White is just wrong. Ours was white for 3 years and I just about lost my mind! We painted a light beige for sale. It's so blah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still can't get over what a gorgeous room you painted for your son :o) I know you'll have fresh inspiration & ideas for the new house...you'll end up loving it just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Devon! That means a lot coming from you. We have a whole new and better lifestyle here, it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am a woman of color. I so get what you are going through. Each home has a personality and you will perfect it as you did your last home and fall in love all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Paula. It's pretty much there. Just trying to clean out the boxes so I can enjoy it. Can't wait to sew curtains and pillows!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...