Friday, October 2, 2009

Leaping into the Abyss


I'm really enjoying painting right now. It's freeing and terrifying at the same time. I never know if the painting will work out. I have no real plan other than to go with the flow. Once I paste the collage down, it looks so good, so perfect already what will happen when I paint it? Will it be completely ruined? I often walk away for awhile to work up the courage to paint.

The first strokes aren't bad, they mostly enhance the collage, but to continue I risk destroying the artwork. Every time. I have to take a deep breath and plunge forward. I must have faith. I have to let go (if you knew me you'd know how ridiculously hard that is for me). So what if it stays in that ugly middle place? It's not the end of the world. I can throw it away and start over. Who cares?

I really believe there's a reason I'm attracted to collage right now. I need to let go, to take risks, to not plan, to leap into the unknown, the abyss. Art is a journey towards truth. Collage is my current vehicle.

What are you working through right now?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. I hear you sister! I find the more I draw, the easier it is to just keep the flow of creative energy. Just don't stop, that's the key for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...