Monday, August 18, 2008

I Finally Visited the Laura Ingalls Wilder House!!!!!


I love the Little House Books!!!! I received my first one from my aunt at age 7. It was love at first sight! I was inspired to be an illustrator by Garth Williams' beautiful pencil illustrations. Children's art at the time was created with minimal, often out of register color which drove me crazy! I know its all the rage now to get that look, but, even as a small child, this irked me. His illustrations were in black and white, so no misregistration issues. I spent hours staring at them.

When I was 10, we moved to California from St. Louis, temporarily. We drove by the house on our way out of state, but it was closed. I've been trying to get back there ever since. Too many years to count. Well, I finally made it!!! This is where she lived as an adult and where she wrote all the books. It's in Mansfield, Missouri. I enjoyed it and am so happy to check that off my list of must sees. My husband didn't know who she was until we're literally standing in the museum. He asked me who she was. I asked him if he'd ever seen the TV show. He was so surprised! That show was his mom's favorite in Iran. All this time, I thought he knew who I was talking on and on about. I only think about the books, not the show. Oops! Apparently, in Iran, Laura speaks Farsi. Who knew!


The best part of the museum was the original sketches by Garth Williams. This is a close up of a sketch of Laura (I assume).

Here's a sketch of the cover of one of the books. It's so sketchy. I like seeing where the final started. It encourages me to keep going when things don't look quite right, yet.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I've never visited the Laura Ingalls Wilder house, which is a real shame since I've lived in Missouri my entire life!! You've lit a spark in me to take a road trip real soon.

    If/when you move to St. Louis, be sure you check out the local SCBWI in the area. They have a great group there! In fact, I am speaking at the conference in November. Would love to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photograph on the porch was wonderful. I remember visiting in 2003 and can't wait to go back! Hope you find time to visit Walnut Grove soon!
    Nicole Elzenga
    Collections Manager
    Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum
    Walnut Grove, MN
    museumnicole@walnutgrove.org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...