Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm Back--Illustrated Poem, Sleeping Outdoors





I'm back. It's been a bit crazy around here lately. Two kids in scouts equals a lot of outings. I've also been blocked creatively. It's a real bummer because I started a new sketchbook which, unfortunately, starts with pages of just plain blah and bad art. I'm hoping b able to spruce up those pathetic attempts soon. While I was blocked, I switched to more crafty pursuits as a way to stay creative, but mostly ran into trouble there, also. Anyway, now it's all flowing again. Whew! When mom's blocked, it's not pretty around here.

The poem in this illo is by Marchette Chute. My first grader's teacher sends poems home every month. They're so inspiring.


So, now I get to the point. I am so happy that I discovered Belgian illustrator, Frank Daenen (see previous post). One of his styles is to cut out the illustration and paste it onto a colorful paper. When I first saw this, a light bulb went on. Now there is no way that I will actually cut one of my illos for real—that's what Photoshop is for. It worked!!! Yippee!!! I struggle with backgrounds all the time. It takes a lot of time and patience to cover the entire background with color pencil. I tried this technique with illo above and it worked. (See detail.) This won't be the right solution for every project, but there are plenty that it would work for. It also helps me use my collection of paper. Sshh--don't tell my husband I'm obsessed with paper. I'm also happy to report that I can now fully justify all the time I'm spending viewing blogs.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...